Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sam's Birthday





It was a crazy/fun weekend. On Friday night we got a real live babysitter and Dave and I headed to the temple for the first time in FOREVER! I forgot how much I need it. I felt like I could finally catch my breath from the chaos of everyday life.
Saturday we cooked breakfast (we never do this cause I always work on Saturdays, so we have breakfast for dinner once a week), dropped Dave's car off for a long overdue tire and brake change and ran off to the pumpkin patch. It was a very brief visit, since we had so much to do, but the boys got to ride the "train" (Grandpa Shaw's is way cooler than this wanna be train that is actually some carts pulled by a tractor) and they got
to feed the animals at the petting zoo. Even though it was a little uneventful
for the adults, the boys had a great time. Next year we will be heading back to Fog Willow, where all there attractions are much cheaper (only $3). Yes, I'm a big cheapskate, I know.

Then we headed home to get ready for Sam's Birthday Party. Last year I ripped out this magazine page that showed how to make a dragon cake. I planned on doing it for Logan's birthday, but Sam was insistent that I make it for him and Logan informed me he wanted a different one anyway. So, I spent the afternoon decorating this complicated cake while Dave fixed all the food. It was excellent, by the way (thanks
Dave). There's nothing better than having someone else make a great meal for you. We had a barbequed tri-tip roast, funeral potatoes, Costco artisan bread and salad. Although it was not fancy, Sam loved his party and keeps asking if he can have another one so he can get more presents. He loved the Ninja Turtles van and action figures. He is really into pretending right now and loves having his "guys" interact with each other. The boys loved the toys so much that they woke up at 1AM and tried sneaking downstairs to play with them. I was not too happy to see them at that hour but it was pretty amusing that they would get the idea. They were so infatuated with the Turtles toy that it reminded me of the excitement of waking up on Christmas morning as a kid.

4 comments:

Dana said...

Wow you made a fancy cake. Have you cosidered becoming a baker? Happy Birthday Sam!

Laura C. said...

That cake IS pretty rockin! Definitely outdoes the ghost cake I did for Jadon. Yours turned out great!

Amanda said...

Happy birthday Sam!!!!

AWESOMe cake!!!

The Babkm5 said...

what a cute cake...it looks like the pumpkin patch is a pretty popular place to go in the month of October. I guess I am "ba-hum-bug" this halloween and didn't take my kids. I figured they have been plenty and we just bought pumpkins to carve at the store. I know it isn't nearly as fun but a lot cheaper...I don't want to be in an apartment the rest of my life..haha