Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Audrey in the ER

Of course, things like this always happen at the worst possible time. Just minutes before our Joyschool was due to arrive, I was upstairs getting new clothing for Audrey since she leaked her messy diaper all over her onsie. I suddenly hear a shrill cry. UHHOH, what happened? I rush downstairs to find Sam standing just a few feet away. I didn't need an explanation. It was only a matter of time. So, to explain the whole situation, I'll start from the beginning. Audrey loves to barf. Every time she's on her stomach it comes up. We usually have to keep her on her back for a few hours to keep her from leaving her stomach droppings all over the floor. Since she's learned how to roll over, it has been an impossible battle to keep her from throwing up on everything. She just loves to roll on her tummy. We kept rolling her back over, and at times Logan even helped. A few weeks ago he did it and her arm was straight out when he flipped her. Her arm was bent backwards under her and pinned. She was screaming in pain that time, so I informed him that only Mommy flips Audrey over now. So this morning when I went upstairs she was on her tummy, which I didn't really care about for the time being, but innocent little Sam thought he needed to fix her. This time must have been to much for her little arm to handle. I rushed downstairs to see her and rushed Sam into time out. As I looked at her in so much pain, I realized she was flailing her right arm, but her left one was as limp as a wet noodle. My poor baby. My heart just broke for her! I figured she had dislocated her shoulder. Just then our preschoolers start arriving. Thanks to Laura who so kindly offered to take over for me, I left the kids at home and drove her to the ER, where we waited for about 45 min before the doctor did a thorough exam. He rotated her wrist and arm and wallah, her elbow (not her shoulder) popped back in to socket. What drama! She was a trooper the whole time though. Other than when they touched her arm she would only occasionally moan. She has always been a patient and happy baby. Watching her in pain and being unable to do anything for it was one of the hardest things I've had to do as a parent. It seems especially sad with her tiny little body:( Needless to say, I had a good talk with Sam about flipping her over. He's assured me he won't do it anymore. I could tell he felt really bad. My only hope is his nearly three year old brain won't have already forgotten by the time he wakes up tomorrow.

6 comments:

Laura C. said...

So glad I could help! And that it was a simple fix for Audrey. Jadon bit his tongue REALLY bad once on the fourth of July at like 8:30 at night (after-hours on a holiday, of course) and we thought we were going to have to sit it out in the ER. But apparently there's not much they can do for tongues (we called our on-call doc). In a little while he was playing w/ his cousins again. It's amazing how resilient kids are!

Carrie said...

poor audrey! when henry was 18 months old he had a tendency to run out into the street. well, one day we were in the parking lot and i was holding his hand and he decided to take off in front of a car. i didn't let go of his hand, of course, but his poor arm/shoulder ended up hurt. i felt terrible and i'm sure the doctor thought i was terrible, but it was better than being hit by a car! the doctor seriously fixed his arm in two seconds. it was amazing!

Tyler and Lisa said...

that is so sad. i'm glad she's ok and that it's not a broken arm. give her hugs and kisses for me!!

Amanda said...

I'm glad Audrey is okay. How scary!!

The JNJ Hasleton's said...

I cringe thinking what if that was my kid?? I am such a wuss about that kind of stuff. It sounds like you handled it so well. I would have freaked out & had to call someone else. I have a friend who had an 18 month old break his little leg. It's so sad to watch our little kids in pain.

ladybugs and lace said...

Aww! Poor Baby Audrey! Poor Mommy too!

Becka's elbow got pulled out once when she was about 18 months old. Poor thing was miserable. About 2 minutes after the doc popped it back in, she was jumping off the couch! :)