My garden is coming into full bloom. When we lived in San Jose my co-workers made this great A
vocado salsa almost every night. It uses mostly tomatillos so I thought it would be a great idea to plant some for my garden. When I was planting my seeds, Sam dumped the whole pack of tomatillos into several pots. I love red peppers and planted several of those too. Unfortunately I didn't label anything, so when the seeds sprouted I decided I better transplant all the seedlings to make sure my peppers made it into the garden. I didn't realize that peppers don't like to germinate until it gets above 80 degrees. So I ended up with 4 tomatillo plants and no peppers. I think in a few weeks I'll have about 10,000 tomatillos. Anyone interested in some tomatillos? I thought I better share the recipe if I'm pawning them off on you guys.
Avocado Salsa:
4 tomatillos (cooked)
1 jalapeno (cooked)
1/8 cup water (left over from cooking tomatillos)
2 cloves garlic
1 avocado (pitted)
1/2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
salt to taste (about 1/8 tsp?)
Put tomatillos
and jalapeno in pot, cover with water. Boil until tomatillo color slightly darkens (about 5-10 min). Remove from water and reserve 1/8 cup of water for later. If you like a lot of heat, add whole jalapeno. If you like it more on the mild side, remove and discard the seeds, and add half the jalapeno. Blend ALL ingredients in blender until blended but still slightly textured. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or until chilled.
9 years ago



5 comments:
Andrea! Oh my goodness, how fun that we found eachother on the wonderful world of blogging! Your kids are too precious- 3, right? And you are still in California? How fun to hear from you. We're in NYC until Aug. then back to BYU for one more year!
i love me some tomatillos! send some my way! i'm so trying that recipe, by the way.
Looks yummy!! I'm in the same pot with pumpkins. I think I'll get at least 40 from my plants that the boys "helped" me plant.
yummy! I wish I lived close enough, I would come take some tomatillos off your hands every day!
That salsa looks great...I am going to have to try making it! I am not the greatest cook, but have no problem following a reciepe. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment