Monday, May 3, 2010

Random Reflections, Part 2

* I started writing this in the spring. I never got around to finishing it, but since it is random reflections, I figure it can be just that; random. I must have been reading a book at the time cause I seem to be into the imagery???


I was driving in my car recently and saw an old man, sitting in his front yard quietly reflecting as he rested on his red, aluminum, four wheeled motorized scooter, oxygen tank supplementing his every breath, mesmerized as he observed the passing cars. As I looked at him, I couldn't help but wonder where his life had been. What was he thinking about? Was he wishing he was us, free to maneuver around as we please in our steel contraptions of momentum?

I watched the other cars as I drove; everyone in such a hurry to get where ever it was that they were going, like marching ants, rushing to obtain their morsel and carry it home.

I look at my daughter. What is it about her? I love all my children, but I never thought SHE would be mine. I had resigned myself to have a house full of boys. She is Daddy's little girl. She begs to be with him, pushes me away when I'm embracing him, as if she feels threatened that I am the central focus of his attention. Despite the fact that I know I come second on her list, I am enchanted by nearly everything she does. I absolutely have moments when she drives me to the brink of insanity, but most of the time she can do no wrong. I suppose it has a lot to do with the fact that she reminds me so much of myself as a child. There are times when gazing upon her I feel as if I'm looking at a reflection of my past.

I stare at the platinum overcast sky, tiny droplets of moisture scattering as they hit the chilled earth. This has been the coldest, most rainy winter I remember since we moved here. I suppose most are exhausted of this season, greatly anticipating the ever nearing summer, with its warm sunshine and the evening serenade of crickets lulling us to sleep. I, however, am content with the present season. It's reminiscent of the place I once called home. I love the crisp feel of the air in my lungs, the sensation of raindrops dancing across my face, and the sight of the picturesque hills covered with droplets of color from the emerging blossoms.

No comments: