So we had a short overnight trip to Monterey a few weeks ago. It is gorgeous there. We didn't get to do 17 mile drive this time, not enough time, but we got to go to the aquarium (my first time). I'm not sure if it was worth $65 (and that was with Sam and Audrey being free), but it was pretty amazing. Here's a few tidbits you might not have known:
* Among seahorses the male gets pregnant.
* Sardines and anchovies look nearly identical but the difference is one swims by moving it's tail up and down, the other does side to side.
*I didn't catch the name, but there is a fish that starts as a male gets itself pregnant and then turns into female, changing from gray to orange in the process-weird!
I remember thinking there were several other really weird facts, but, I am my mother's daughter, so they seem to have slipped my memory.
Here's our pictures:
* 


This picture is actually a giant inverted fish bowl over our heads. It is full of thousands of anchovies. All their scales combined create an astounding shimmer around you (Hmm? Do you think that's what Edward looks like in the sunlight?-It's a twilight thing).

This next picture is actually sideways. If anyone has any suggestions on how to turn it, please let me know. This is the BIGGEST fish tank I've ever seen. Those are people at the bottom of the screen. I think the tank was 30 or 40 feet high. They call it the Kelp Forest. They had scuba divers in there putting on an underwater show with the fish in that tank.


We also go to stop at Meena's for dinner (thanks) and hurried back home. Despite the sleep deprivation and cranky kids, we did manage to have some fun.
9 years ago



6 comments:
We went to Monterey and Carmel last summer, I loved it! That's what is so great about living here, there's so many places to go for a day trip.
I don't know where it was, but Brandon and I took the kids to something almost identical to the place in your pictures. The kids loved it. I remember thinking, that is a lot of jelly fish!
I want to go there! The aquariums look incredible. I wish we had something like that near us.
I didn't know you were a Twilight fan! Heidi introduced me to the series. I really enjoyed all four books. What did you think of them?
I just finished book three and decided I need a 2 week break so I can get my house/life back in order. Those books kind of consume me.
If you know someone in Monterey that has a library card, they can get free passes for a group of 6 to the Aquarium. Much cheaper. I love that place!!!
Hee hee hee, glad to see someone else is loving Twilight!
Post a Comment