Sunday, August 3, 2008

Veggie Tales

Last week I found this enormous (approximately 4 inch) caterpillar in my garden. I was trying to figure out why my tomato plant looked like someone had taken a chainsaw to it. Suddenly I spotted him. On the end of the branch was a multi-legged insect, binging himself on all my hard work. A few wasps appeared to be attacking him. Feeling he was being terrorized, I decided to spray the wasps to deter them from their assault. I hurriedly chopped down the branch it was on. We brought him inside, and he started to ooze green slime on my counter. Yuck! What kind of caterpillar does that? I trimmed down the branch and managed to fit him in a mason jar. We put a lid on and let him munch away to his hearts delight. Logan was thrilled to have a new pet. He even thanked Heavenly Father in his prayers for it (it was rather endearing). My curiosity overcame me and I got online to figure out what it was. My results turned up THIS. Disgusting! This thing makes a great diet program. I could hardly eat for the 24 hours he was oozing and defecating in the jar on my counter. I was completely repulsed. All I can say is after reading what this thing does to your garden, I concluded the best way to deal with him was to exterminate. Despite Logan's pleading he met his fate the next day. I couldn't bring myself to actually kill it; way too disgusting with a bug of this magnitude; so I left it in the jar and tossed it in the trash. Soo long hungry little caterpillar. If you didn't turn into a five inch wide nasty Hawk Moth with the intention of creating future generations in my beloved garden you might have had a chance.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

that was really interesting! i'm jealous of all you that have gardens. can't wait to have one of my own someday. by the way, you totally crack me up!